Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Pinterest Pop-Tarts

  

I was "piddling" around on Pinterest and came across these DIY Pop-Tarts. Really?! Now, why hadn't I ever thought of making these...then I remembered my almost 2 and 6 year old animals, I mean daughters, that run through my house like wild banshies. Most days I'm lucky if I get a shower, but I thought this was genius! Okay, I must make these! Nevermind the mess it was sure to make in my kitchen that was already as clean as a frat house. My girls love them and I really love to feed them the least junk pumped "food" when I can. Anything that won,t make them bounce of the house walls like ping-pong balls! After doing some research I figured out that the "pastry" was pie crust, the filling is jelly and the frosting is a simple powdered sugar icing. Hmm....seemed simple enough. We wrangled our ingredients and went to work. I wanted to make ones that where half as big as the originals to help with the Hansel and Gretel crumb trails in my house. My oldest had a great time decorating with sprinkles. Needless to say they were a hit! Have fun and enjoy!
























Here is the recipe for the Pop-Tarts but you can use store bought ingredients if you like.


Single Pie Crust

1 1/4 cups all- purpose flour
1/3 cup shortening
4 to 5 tbsp cold water ( I use about 8)
1/4 tsp salt

1. Stir together flour 1/4 tsp salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening till pieces are pea-sized.

2. Sprinkle 1tbsp of water over the flour and work in with a fork a section at a time till the dough is moistened. Form into a ball.

3. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough  and cut out squares or desired shape for pop-tart.



Strawberry Jam


2 quarts fresh strawberry, hulled
1 1 3/4-ounce powdered pectin
1/2 tsp butter or margarine
7 cups sugar

1. Crush one cup of berries at a time into a pot. Stir in pectin and butter.
Heat on high stirring constantly till it reaches a full boil. Add all the sugar and return to boil. Boil for one minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

There will be extra!i

Powdered Sugar Icing

1 cup sifted powdered
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk 

1. In a bowl mix together sugar, milk and vanilla drizzle on.

Preheat 400 degrees oven. Cut your crust and fill with jelly. Wipe edges with water fold and seal the edges with a fork. Cook 9 mins (cook times my very) cool on wire rack. Drizzles with icing and sprinkles. Also check out Pinterest Dorothea ideas and flavors. Search "diy pop-tarts"









1 comment: